If you're dealing with depression, reduced sex drive, or other health problems, you might need to take a look at your testosterone levels. Low levels of testosterone can have multiple negative effects on your health and quality of life. At Low Testosterone & Weight Loss Center, our team of health care providers are here to help.
What is testosterone?
Testosterone, the sex hormone most often associated with masculinity, naturally occurs in both males and females, but is present in much larger quantities in adult men. Testosterone plays an important role in several parts of your body, including:
- Development of your bones and muscles
- Maturation of your voice
- Hair growth and other factors related to your appearance
- Production of sperm
- Stimulation of nitric oxide, necessary to achieve an erection
Your testosterone production naturally increases during puberty. After you reach the age of 30, your testosterone levels naturally decrease. Other conditions can also cause low testosterone.
What are the impacts of low testosterone?
Many men deal with problems related to low testosterone beginning in their 40s, with the likelihood of low T increasing each year.
The American Urology Association defines low testosterone as less than 300 nanograms of the hormone per deciliter of blood. If your testosterone levels fall below the norm, negative consequences may adversely impact your health, preventing you from going about your day-to-day life as you’re used to.
Low testosterone can significantly lower your sex drive and virility. Low testosterone can also cause emotional instability, mood swings, and sleep problems, and reduce your overall vitality.
Symptoms of low testosterone include:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Lowered sex drive
- Reduction in testicle size
- Reduction in the amount of semen
- Depression, fatigue, and other mood changes
- Difficulty sleeping
- Hot flashes
- A decrease in energy levels
- An increase in body fat
- Reduced bone and muscle mass
- Hair loss
When to seek treatment
Don’t let reduced testosterone levels ruin your health, sex life, or positive outlook. At Low Testosterone & Weight Loss Center, we have the most up-to-date treatment options available to help you deal with low testosterone. If you have any of the symptoms listed above or are concerned about your testosterone levels, schedule a consultation at one of our locations in Allen, Frisco, or Celina, Texas.
Most cases of low testosterone can be resolved, especially with early diagnosis and treatment. In many cases, a simple blood test can give us more information about your diagnosis, although it may not be effective for every patient.
Among the options available for treating low testosterone are:
- Testosterone replacement therapy, or TRT, delivered via injections, patches, gels, oral treatments, or subdermal pellets
- Erectile dysfunction medication to address symptoms
- Sleeping aids, if you're dealing with sleep apnea
- Lifestyle changes such as exercising more, losing weight, and adjusting your diet
To schedule an appointment to discuss treatments for low testosterone, or other male health issues, call one of our offices or book online.